Won't You Be My Neighbor? Scott's Addition
Updated: Apr 1
In this two-part blog series, we are getting to know the historical neighborhoods we work in, Scott's Addition in Richmond, and the Railroad District in Norfolk.
When you hear Scott's Addition (SA), most Richmonders think of the breweries, meaderies, cideries, distilleries, restaurants and entertainment venues, but most don't know the history behind it.
Scott's Addition began as part of the Mayo family Plantation. Major General Winfield Scott was given the property as part of a dowry when he married Colonel John Mayo's daughter Elizabeth Mayo. There isn't much more information on the property during this era, but it's where the "Scott" comes from. The "Addition" came after Scott's death. Businesses began moving from the downtown area to our neighborhood in the 1900s, where there was easy access to the railways. This area was outside of the official city grid, and was then annexed into the City making it an "addition." 
In the 1920s a zoning ordinance was made redistricting SA for industrial purposes, and the area was redeveloped. Factories and commercial businesses such as Jones Motor Car Company (1926), The National Biscuit Company (1923), and the Hofheimer Building (1928) found their home in Scott's Addition. 
Scott's Addition was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 2005. According to the NRHP, Scott's Addition is bounded by Cutshaw Ave, the Arthur Ashe Boulevard, and the Richmond Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad, encompassing 152 acres. This designation brought in another wave of development as developers took advantage of historic tax credits. According to savingplaces.org there have been 36 tax credit projects from 2005-2017. Read more about how tax credit's are credited (ha!) with transforming Scott's Addition. 
With the change to the "blue laws" in 2012, businesses were now allowed to sell beer even if they didn't sell food. And the beer boom took off in Scott's Addition. Isley Brewing became the first to open in 2013 and now there are more than 13 craft beverage businesses, a shuffleboard bar, and restaurants.
PermitZIP fell into this amazing neighborhood purely by chance. In 2016, Kenny Shultz, managing member of PermitZIP met Amrit Singh of Fultz and Singh Architects. As a start-up, we had been working from our homes and were on the lookout for office space. After engaging PermitZIP for a project, Amrit mentioned having a few desks to sub-lease and Kenny jumped at the chance. We now have a team of 6 at the office affectionately dubbed "Studio 34" and have completed over 30 projects in Scott's Addition.
It's a fantastic opportunity to be a part of the history and future of the neighborhood.
Notable PermitZIP projects in Scott's Addition include award-winning restaurants ZZQ & Longoven, Blanchard's Coffee, Stella's Grocery, City Barre, Highpoint Barbershop and mixed-use buildings including McKinnon & Harris and The Spur.